Monday, April 14, 2008

A great way to let the dead lie.

The idea of having a blog about my writing ideas strikes me as remarkbly antithetical. Why am I using this time to blog and not to actually WRITE is the question?

That being said, a page to simply blurt out and store ideas and come up with scenarios isn't sucha bad idea anyway.

I am still in that hazy world of wondering how much of a good idea it is to share ideas and work with the rest of the world before properly copywriting anything, but hey..... that seems to be the way of the world these days.

So:

NANOWRIMO is National Novel Writing Month. Usually in November, the goal is to write 50,000 words of a novel. After hearing about this, I decided to take an old idea I had for a screenplay and write it as a novel just to see how it would play out. The idea came to me after watching BRICK. A great film noir movie with the modern twist of having it take place in a high school. I wanted to write a similar Film Noir story where the detective character is very Sam Spade while his investigations take him to the future and deal with multiple worlds.

It's called STRINGS. I did some research on actual string theory and trried very hard to keep the whole thing from being too similar to the HIS DARK MATERIALS trilogy and it's idea of Dark Matter and using the Subtle Knife. Sadly, I couldn't think of a better way to use anti-matter to cut through into different worlds/realms of reality.

Long story short, I got 20,000 words in and stopped. I'd like to pick it up again, but I couldn't get the whole thing done in November what with work, Thanksgiving, etc. I've very happy with it, tho. I'll post a piece above.

Now it's SCRENZY - Script Frenzy, the same idea as Nanowrimo, but you churn out 100 pages of screenplay in April. For this one I chose an idea that I had back five-to-seven years ago and had written two and three-quarters chapters in first person. It's called BONEDUST. The pitch: INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE meets THE MUMMY.

It's good - I'm much happier with it than I would have thought. I had a bit of writer's block as I approched Act Two (a sign that Act Two is not ready) and so had a discussion with my previous writing buddy and think I may have something much cooler than my original idea. Again, I hope I'm not biting the Voldemort idea too much.

Anywho. I'll be back.

No comments: